Government releases water figures in Mongolia

Water Mongolia

Water reserves in Mongolia have reached 609.5 cubic km, of which 500 cubic km or 82 percent is lake water and 62.9 cubic km or 10.3 percent are ice rivers flowing from mountains.

The main source for water in Ulaanbaatar is the Tuul River.

Further, the country’s reserve supplies of water are estimated at 34.6 cubic km, of which 4.96 cubic km is surface water and 0.4 cubic km is subsoil water. Government reports consider these resources to be vital for the 2.7 million Mongolians.

Other figures released indicate that 20 percent of the water consumed by Mongolians is surface waters and the remaining 80 percent are subsoil waters. However, subsoil waters, reserves of which are short, are mainly used for all consumption purposes.

In particular, 18.1 percent of consumed subsoil waters are also used for domestic uses, 39.3 percent for industrial purposes, 24 percent for animal husbandry, 17.4 percent for irrigation and 1.2 percent for maintaining greenery in cities.

Lastly, the 30 tanneries operating in the area of Ulaanbaatar use over 170 thousand cubic meters of water per month.

No votes yet
Archived Comments