Home arrow News Archives arrow State & Politics arrow Amnesty: Are the Mongolian authorities getting away with murder?

 
Mongolia 's Latest News & Current Events, Directly from Ulaanbaatar

Login

Syndicate

Latest comments

Mongolia seeks $3 bi...
But I do appreciate and see the angles of Roy's postings to ...
More...
By INTJay

Mongolia seeks $3 bi...
If the Mongolian government can easily raise capital from in...
More...
By Threefold Minority

Mongolia seeks $3 bi...
Thanks for the response. Would like to hear from more on thi...
More...
By INTJay

Amnesty: Are the Mongolian authorities getting away with murder? PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 17 January 2009

police_mprp_building_protest.jpg

Amnesty International reports on the aftermath  of the July 1st protests:  

Ten police officers have been arrested and charged with premeditated murder, after five people were killed during riots in Mongolia last year.

Four of the victims died from gunshot wounds during the riots in Mongolia's capital city of Ulaanbaatar on 1 July 2008. Violence broke out following allegations of widespread fraud in the parliamentary elections held on 29 June.

The Mongolian government is being urged to conduct an independent and impartial investigation into police use of unnecessary and excessive force.

The call comes amid fears that the perpetrators will not be brought to justice. The arrested officers are currently released on bail.

During the riots, protestors targeted the Mongolian People's Revolutionary Party (MPRP) headquarters. They set the building on fire and looted commercial offices.

Hundreds of civilians including police officers were injured. According to local news reports, police used tear gas, rubber bullets and live ammunition to suppress the riots. A state of emergency was declared on 2 July for four days.

The protests were unexpected and unexpectedly violent on a scale not previously seen in Mongolia. The riots resulted in Mongolia's first-ever State of Emergency.

Enkhbayar Dorjsuren, 24, was shot in the neck by police in the city centre at 1:40am on 2 July. His family went looking for him after he failed to report for work the next day. They found his body in the morgue around 10pm. An autopsy had been performed without the knowledge or approval of his family. No information about the investigation into the killing has been made available.

Also killed that day was Tserenjav Enkhbaatar. The 36-year-old was visiting Ulaanbaatar to buy equipment for his company. He was chased by police in a car and shot in the back around 1am. He underwent emergency surgery but died in hospital shortly afterwards. No information about the investigation into the killing has been made available.

"There needs to be complete accountability for the events of 1 July", said Sam Zarifi, Director for Asia-Pacific at Amnesty International. "The Mongolian government needs to re-establish confidence in the rule of law and show that they are serious about protecting and promoting human rights."

Amnesty International has called on the government to ensure that the current investigation is thorough and that the report by the investigating body is made public.

The organization has also said that those suspected of perpetrating human rights violations should be prosecuted, in proceedings which meet international standards of fairness and where they do not face the death penalty.

Each of the victims' families has been granted compensation of MNT one million from the Government of Mongolia. They have also been awarded MNT 100,000 from other government sources.

However, unless families have freely agreed otherwise, this should not prejudice their right to take civil or any other legal action against the government or specific officials.

Nor can compensation replace investigation and prosecution of suspected perpetrators in accordance with international legal standards.


  Comments (2)
RSS comments
 1 Written by INTJay, on 2009-01-18 07:54:57, IP: 69.59.122.28
At 1am and almost 2am...the investigation would want to look into why he was out at that time of the night. If he was shot in the back then why did the police have to chase him in the first place then being shot in the back raises question of his resisting and fleeing or not then if he made it to the hospital for emergency surgery wa it due to the police calling it in after shooting him? Who else would have gotten him to the hospital at 1am? Amnesty does a good job to moniter worldwide issues of violence but this article presents lots of holes. Hope they can investigate and find some details then carry out due process as required. Certainly lack of investigation does lead to a door for those cops inclined to be corrupt or violent to become more so.
 2 Written by roydongen, on 2009-01-21 20:57:48, IP: 202.180.218.26
Without judging those who were sadly killed and without judging the police I agree with the previous writer who asks questions why these people were out on the street after the President had clearly informed on the television that the State of Emergency would be declared and that people should stay home and were not allowed to be at the street. I was present in front of the MPRP Building until midnight during the riots and the police was clearly reluctant to use force, reason maybe why the riots went so much out of hand that the building could be set on fire, a museum and a theatre could be plundered and rioters en mass tried to storm a police station to get access to fire arms.  
In such a situation, during the first State of Emergency in the young history of Mongolia maybe mistakes are being made. A careful investigation would be best but without hinder blaming the police which did a great job that night (I have seen how police officers were nearly tortured after they were beaten down) that they are just bad and corrupt and for fun shoot people in the back without any evidence to back up these allegations goes to far.

Only registered users can write comments.
Please login or register.

Powered by AkoComment Tweaked Special Edition v.1.3.0

 
< Prev   Next >

Google Comment

Join us with your Google account....

General Discussion

Classifieds

Latest Forum Posts

Statistics

Members: 1262
News: 2203
WebLinks: 17
Visitors: 11982551

Google Translation

Translate This Website

Mongolia Websites

During the Stalinist purges of the 1930's almost every monastery in Mongolia was destroyed. In 1979 an atlas was published in Ulaanbaatar by Mr. Rinchen with an overview of more than 900 religious sites that used to exist in Mongolia. However a lot the information listed seems to be not accurate. A research has been initiated to get a better idea of all the buddhist buildings that once stood in Mongolia.